[Nobbc] California Mêlée XIII Sedan Rental

Norman Weinfeld norman_weinfeld at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 10:51:05 MDT 2009

I am writing at the behest of a chap by the name of John McMullen whom I have
come to "know" via Facebook (to which I have recently become hooked) and who
owns a more-or-less twin of my XK140 DHC which I drove both on Melee XII and
the recent Snowball. He apparently also has a biplane, or at least flies one.
Well, I have been talking up first the Melee and now the Snowball so much that
he is proposing bringing the entire family over FROM NEW ZEALAND to attend the
next Melee! Thing is, he is a) a dedicated Jag nut, b) not rich as Croesus,
and c) will have at least two other people along with him including a
12-year-old daughter. AND he needs a car... The ideal thing I guess would be
to rent a Mark II (or VII, VII, or IX I suppose), but this doesn't appear to
be commercially possible. I did find a Silver Cloud for $135/hr - not helpful.
Or a 1937 Plymouth for $10 less - also not helpful. So what I'm thinking is
that there might be someone going on the Melee who has such a car and who
could use some extra cash via "renting" their vintage car to my friend. In a
pinch, an Alfa or MG sedan or similar would probably do as well. I know it
sounds crazy but he does seem serious. I myself considered going to Goodwood
this year before I came to my senses (or the wife did anyway). There, however,
I guess vintage Jags are to be had for rent. I have suggested posting this
request on the Melee list and also on Jag-Lovers, as well as floating it by
the wonderful, completely nuts, and completely dedicated man who runs an XK
owners site on Facebook (though he's in Toronto). At any rate, I would truly
appreciate hearing of any thoughts anyone out there in NOBBC Land might have
on any of the above.

Norm Weinfeld
San Francisco
'55 XK140 DHC