[Nobbc] new members

Norman S. Weinfeld norman_weinfeld at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 14:44:41 MDT 2009

I, too, lamented not catching either Greg or Sarto at the show. Must have been
after your takeoff Greg, as I did note Sarto's wonderful car. And 110 degrees,
yikes! It wasn't too too bad for me with the top down on the way back, but
waiting for the awards to play out in that broiler was a trial.

In re the top, I would like to float a question out to one on all. The morning
of the show, in putting on my "boot cover" (the canvass cover for the
folded-down top), I noted that one of the "Press-the-Dot" snaps had separated.
It was one of the two in font (fixing the front part of the cover behind the
back seats (such as they are). I stupidly thought that, since there were three
other snaps (one other in "front" and one each on either side of the car), in
addition to the clip fasteners in back, I would be all right. WRONG-O! The
sucker apparently blew off, probably on Golden Gate Bridge or somewhere else
along the freeway up. I was, as is so often the case, completely oblivious (to
this and most everything else most probably). I didn't even notice its absence
until arriving at the Park-and-Drive in Cordelia!

Sooooo, the question is this. I had thought of calling the Highway Patrol to
see if it had been found along the side of the road and, if not wrecked by
oncoming cars, perhaps set aside and saved. However, when I mentioned this to
my body guy, he said that I should be careful, that that could leave me liable
for some considerable liability. In thinking about it, it's not inconceivable
that this thing could have blown right onto somebody's windshield, causing
potentially untold grief. So a moral as well as a practical quandary
Practically, though, like so many things Jaguar, the thing, custom-made as it
was, cost a preposterous amount of money and was something I had envisioned
for all those years prior to getting this car (and never really thinking that
it would ever happen). Thoughts anyone?

Norm Weinfeld
San Francisco
'55 XK140 DHC