[Nobbc] Petronix ignition testing

Paige, Dean DPaige at srcity.org
Thu Feb 18 10:24:34 MST 2010

Lots of talk about the small stuff. Yadda yadda yadda! I first put a
Pertronix in my 73 TR-6 in the early 90's. First unit had a flaw in the
magnet ring. It came apart. Changes were made by the manufacturer.
Second installation has served me well for the 20 years it has now been
in operation. Of course timing and carbs required adjustment. Standard
coil has been in continuous use. Never noticed any change in Tach
readings, though I think I'm due for a Tach and speedo overhaul. With a
mechanical Tach I just don't see how the reading could change unless the
Tach was failing. Electric Tach? I guess there could be issues. Anyhow
the difference in performance was and still is substantial. No more
points slippage, no more having to check the timing regularly and most
important a smooth and notable power increase throughout the rpm range.

Go for the Pertronix. For the price you pay it is more than worth it.

I hate to be missing the rides lately. The TR-6 flywheel ring gear is
toast. Looks like it was a starter problem. The front surface of the
ring gear was crunched to the point that the starter gear will no longer
engage in the ring gear. Pulling the tranny in the next couple of weeks.
Will replace the ring gear and install a gear reduction starter. Also
seriously considering a Toyota 5 speed tranny for the beast. Hope to be
on the road again early spring. So many other project in the works. So
little time! I should probably just join the rides in the Jag VDP. Just
not the same as the roadster though.

On the upside it looks like I will retire in July with a pension that
provides 80% of my salary til I croak. Plus the City is offering a
substantial management buyout for those of us topped out long in the
tooth managers. All that and a hunk of dough in deferred income should
keep me happy. Will likely do some consulting along the way too. Never
in my wildest dream would I have thought that I would work for any one
entity for over 20 years. Doc says I'm in hale and hardy and I expect to
keep it that way. I really do need to get out from behind this desk and
spend the rest of my days in the great outdoors. Quite the quantum leap
though and a little intimidating.

Deano