[Nobbc] DMV advice

Clif & Deborah Williamson hawkview at sonic.net
Wed Sep 22 16:52:30 MDT 2010

Odd.
Two years ago I went through a similar process with my JH.  A garage queen
for 12 years (driven around the block), but it also fell of the DMV
database.  For me smog was not required since it is a 74.  I had to get a
temporary permit to drive the car to DMV for the inspection.  They did it
there, Santa Rosa, just checking to see if the car matched the pink slip
VIN.  It did so no problem.  I was able to keep my existing plates but had
to get a new pink slip.  They did let me keep the old one since I was the
original owner and the car is now considered a classic and documentation is
important.
Personally I think a lot of the rules have to do with who's window you go to
and how much you smile.  I was expecting a ration of crap and instead was
treated very well.  The inspector was nice as well even showing me a
"secret" place where the VIN number is hidden just in case somebody tries to
fool them.  I was impressed.
The Sacramento end of DMV works pretty slow.  I also received an incomplete
registration on the car that has ended up being my donor car.  Since I
wasn't going to drive it, I just ignored the notice.
On would suggest going back to the DMV in person.  It's a pain, but you get
straight answers and don't have to search.  You should be able to get the
permit on the spot.
Good luck,
Clif 74 Jensen (Lotus) Healey