[Nobbc] Water spitting out tailpipe

Peter & Nancy Bergman BergmanIns at comcast.net
Sat Sep 25 14:08:30 MDT 2010

Hi Charlie,
I have a 54 120, that tends to paint a nice pattern of black crap out the
tailpipe, but only when the choke is on. ( I have the choke on a switch
rather than the automatic system that shuts the choke off when the engine is
warm), so when I shut the choke off it quits spitting.  It doesn't seem to
have any water to speak of though, beyond normal condensation, and the plugs
show normal mixture burn.  The choke on these just open the needle valve on
the "starting carburettor",  so the the mixture is extremely rich when on
the choke.  I don't have any overflow bottle on the radiator overflow, so
whatever expands enough on hot days, uphill, just waters the pavement!  Try
getting it off the choke almost immediately, and see if it does the same
thing.
good luck

Pete Bergman