[Nobbc] Off Topic - re Speckled Hen and MGs

G. Mugele mewgull at sonic.net
Sat Jan 1 20:00:06 MST 2011

Don't know anything about Speckled Hen in relation to the Morris
Garage crowd but I have sampled it a number of times in the UK.
It seems to be especially popular in Devon and Dorset.  Many pubs
around Torquay have it... at least those that have "real" ale.
Speckled Hen IS a real ale.  That is to say that its brewing conforms
to the CAMRA ideals: traditional ale, made with real malt (rather than
malt extract), natural carbonation, etc.
It's good stuff but by no means is it among the best of the real
ales.   I'm particularly fond of the stuff brewed by Adnams of
Southwold in Suffolk.

Now... what was the question?

Gerry

PS CAMRA is the Campaign for real ale....  a great organization that
is now nearly 40 years old.  The founders were annoyed about the
influx of what Brits refer to as "fizzy beer".... you know, the
typical kind made by the big brewers on this side of the pond.  Check
'em out, they're a valuable asset when in England and looking for a
proper pint.

On Jan 1, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Frank Morris wrote:

> Speaking of "Uns"...does anyun have much insight on The Speckled Hen
> "Un" brew
> in celebration of MGs 50th in Abingdon? Interesting but rather
> limited history
> on Internet. I just tasted it for first time in Sonoma and have to
> admit I
> liked the unique rather fruity Brit ale brew.
>
> A toast to everyone in NoBBCC and MGOC...may ye all have a
> prosperous New
> Year!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Frank and Candace
>
> P.S. The red 61 MGA coupe is back on the road but I'm still ironing
> out the
> bugs. Not going to make the drive on Sun. Enjoy wherever ye may
> wander. F.

G. Mugele
mewgull at mugele.net

*** "Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God
loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is
the most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should
save it for someone you love." --   Butch Hancock