[Nobbc] My car LOVES this weather!

G. Mugele mewgull at sonic.net
Sun Jan 2 16:40:39 MST 2011

It's the abundant moisture that makes 'em run so well.   One of the
veteran Land Rover survivors (a native Kiwi) now residing in a bog
beside Salmon Creek contends that Brit cars NEED the soggy environment
and that Lucas wiring swells up when wet so as to better conduct and
maintain contact.  Based on my experience I can not dispute this.

Those of us who have been long afflicted with proper Land Rovers (as
opposed to the yuppie versions) are often amused when some one new to
the marque posts some inquiry about the correct screws or bolts for
the floor boards.  The responses usually explain the critical need for
the holes to be left open since that's how the water gets out.  Also,
I find it interesting that all my Land Rovers with hard tops over the
years have leaked most impressively into the passenger compartment at
even the hint of a modest rain.  Whereas, my '50 MG TD, with INCHES of
open space around the side-curtains allowed almost no run off into the
cockpit.  Well there were those passing trucks that kicked up gallons
onto the front of the TD; a fair bit of that made it into my lap.

BTW, as a native San Franciscan, I enjoy the Kantner description.  But
then I was born in the Hashbury ... but long before it became famous.

Gerry

On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Ron Engelhardt wrote:

> It just seems to run better when it's humid and cool. We had a fun
> ride today for those of you that missed it. Not much traffic and the
> scenery looked better with the mist and clouds behind it. I'll try
> to post pictures to Facebook and send a link.
>
> Dawson was there with his recently acquired Jensen Healey for it's
> inaugural club ride. It ran well and nothing fell off, the
> definition of a successful British car ride.
>
> Our next ride will be mid month on the 15th, details later. February
> will bring Dawson's Valentines Day run, always popular and well
> attended.
>
> Looks like Nobbc will have a good new year!
>
> Ron
> 58 MGA

G. Mugele
mewgull at mugele.net

*** "Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God
loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is
the most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should
save it for someone you love." --   Butch Hancock