[Nobbc] Today's drive

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:48:06 MST 2011

  Agreed, Mike, which is why Trish and I have to Lotuses and know how to
drive them.

On the other hand, we are a club of drivers with varied levels of skill
and/or desire, and cars with varied levels of preparedness. Is there any
room in our desire for sportiness to listen to comments from members
(and past members) who have the nerve to bring it up, or do we want to
just tell them to go away without ever telling those of us who organize
the drives? I got strong comments from Dean a few years back when I led
a very large group and after a late start left some participants behind,
and I took that to heart. We aren't a race club, we're a classic British
car club.

As another example, we used to have a member with a superb TR3 who also
races a Formula 1/3000 car at 180 mph, who stopped attending the drives
because they tended to go too fast for the drum brake cars. He gets his
speed kicks on the track, and doesn't go nuts on the street. He told me
why he left the club, as have about 7 other folks, so it's probably not
about driving "a little sporty", but driving beyond where the driver or
passenger of that car is comfortable. We can accommodate the full range,
I believe, if we are at all willing to listen to the few who make the
effort to say something, rather than just disappear.

I'm not trying to say anyone else shouldn't drive "sporty", but I think
it's worth establishing if we're trying to exclude those who have
different skill levels, speed of car, or outlook on how to participate
when on a club drive. As far as my own culpability, I've lead GGLC
drives at greater speeds than any NOBBC drives, but the group,
expectations, cars, and circumstances have been different. During my
driver's briefings, I tell the group that I'm splitting it into fast and
slow
groups, that anyone who feels like they are pushing it too much should
let themselves be passed where safe, but also that we want to stay as a
group (or groups) as much as possible, and that blind turns, long
downhills, bicycle routes, and streets with lots of driveways will slow
the group down.

I'm glad there is discussion about this. My original comment was meant
privately for Dan, but this is worth discussing, and has come up in our
other clubs - both Lotus and Alfa. It seemed like a good opportunity to
mention the views of past members who no longer participate...

Cheers,

Greg