[Nobbc] Speed

Ron Engelhardt nobbc at sonic.net
Mon Jan 17 14:00:54 MST 2011

I've noticed on the (few) rides I haven't led that I must drive quite a
bit faster in the rear than in the front due to the accordion effect
(especially on larger rides). I have made a point on rides to not exceed
the posted limit and have tried to start slowly from lights, etc. to
minimize this effect so those uncomfortable on rides might want to stay
in the front or even volunteer to lead!

No one has gotten a speeding ticket on any Nobbc ride in 10 years nor
have we had any accidents. This is a driving club and we do get spirited
driving at times (like out Skagg Springs) but no one is forced to keep
up and we do wait to regroup. Most of this type driving happens at the
end of the ride after we disburse so, again, no push to keep up.

Dawson's ride will be friendlier for spouses, something to look forward
to. Someone may want to step up and plan a special March ride. In the
past our rides in March have tended to be really great (when not rained
out). On the last ride, Gianni and Julia suggested a route out to
Berryessa, then up to Lower Lake, returning over St. Helena. This ride
would be brutal in summer but nice during the temperate weather in March
and April. Anybody want to take it on? I want to ride back in the pack!

Ron
58 MGA