[NOBBC] Visit to a High School, Moderator comments

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 13:57:25 MDT 2013

Hi Mitch,

Thanks very much for your emails on this subject. I was the person who
first suggested, several weeks ago, that we think about having a show
and shine or other activity at a school to encourage and foster
appreciation for our old cars with younger people. I thank you for
stepping up and expressing your willingness to help make this happen,
and would love to participate.

One of my most formative experiences was auto shop in high school, as I
was already a gearhead from a much younger age, but without the
technical guidance needed to better develop my skills until that shop,
and subsequent exposure to older mechanics willing to teach me
invaluable lessons. I am just happy to hear there is still an auto shop
in any school around! Even earlier than that, I was greatly influenced
by the British and European cars prevalent in my neighborhood when I was
young, and the willingness of many neighbors to let me sit in them, get
a ride, see their workshop, etc.

Regarding the discussion about Scouts, I also appreciate your comments,
and in particular, the way you have responded. I think we need to be
aware of the hazards of painting all others with the same broad brush.

NOW DONNING MODERATOR HAT TO ALL MEMBERS:
Opinions, whether religious or political, expressed in forums or lists
like this run the risk of snowballing into personal attacks. DO NOT make
personal attacks on this list or the Yahoo Forum. If you have a gripe,
take it off-list, or better yet, discuss it in person with the subject
of your comments. If you don't agree with this policy, you are welcome
to take over the position of list and group administrator/moderator, but
I will hold members to this policy as long as I am in this role.

BACK TO MITCH:
Interesting Pastor you've got there, restoring classic cars. Tell us more?

Anyone else interested in helping Mitch put something together,
preferably before the rains begin?

Best to you all,

Greg Tatarian

P.S. By far, the greatest amount of traffic for our club occurs on the
Yahoo Group. Please consider joining that group so you can participate
more, and be notified of events. If you are on both this list and the
group, make sure to cross-post if you want the active membership to see
your posts.