[Oletrucks] 54 truck

jjstultz at msn.com jjstultz at msn.com
Mon Jul 12 20:56:23 MDT 2010

I put a 350 700r4 combo in my 54 and had to put a spacer block between frame rail and gear box along with using block hugger headers.  The down side to this is my driver side tire rubs pitman arm.  In hindsight I should have used narrower tires up front.  I also had to cut fire wall slightly to account for the outward shift in the steering column. because of this, I had to put filler pieces in firewall so that I could use a standard steering column boot to seal the cab from engine heat.  I'm assuming you have the original steering column.  For the engine mounts, I used a front mounting setup that bolts to the two holes on either side of the front bottom of the block.  I also had to cut cross member down a 1/2" vertically so the trans pan didn't rub, then had custom rear trans cross member fabricated. I've been pleased with the setup but wish I had spent the money to put in power steering.  With an aftermarket 15" steering wheel, it's really hard to turn when you're not in motion.  Hope this helps.
Justin
Phoenix, AZ
1954 Chevy 3100