[Oletrucks] 54 truck

Gale Gorman gale_gorman at mac.com
Tue Jul 13 06:51:11 MDT 2010

Justin,

Those big tires don't help your steering either, just more rubber on the surface.

I bought a '54 with a 350 already installed and the swap had been done at a Carquest garage in Montana. They used a kit crossmember and it looks good. Not a lot of clearance anywhere but enough.

I put a small block V8 in a '54 back in 1970 and fabricated little mounts that I welded on the existing front crossmember. I've done quite a few engine swaps and I always rigged supports to temporarily hold the engine in place while I took measurements to make the mounts. I never did cut into a firewall because it just created too much more work. I made sure chassis was supporting the engine weight and then adjust my supports until the carburetor is level. Then I checked clearance between the transmission and floorboard and raised the engine if possible.
--
Gale Gorman
Houston