[Oletrucks] 74 Chev Front Suspension Steering

thomasind at nventure.com thomasind at nventure.com
Tue Apr 22 13:37:58 MDT 2014

Roger:

I had the 74 front of the frame & made wooden templates with relativeness to
the X-member , steering box & idler arm mounting holes. Required 5/8'' shim
plates, each side between frame and
X-member 3 or 4 hole bolting surface - between idler arm and frame - between
steering box & frame that worked great in that I put it on a plate with
raised bolt hole mounting bosses. The mechanic said it looked great with the
drag very parallel  with the X-member / 90 to the frame centerline.

At final front end alignment he preferred to remove the X-member , remove 1
1/4 out of the centerline / weld eliminating the 5/8 shims on each side of
the X-member with the drag link still being parallel with the X-member (
kept the 5/8'' shims - idler arm & steering box ). Did have to get shorter
after market tie rod adjustment sleeves .

The mechanic kept referring to the fact that the drag link was parallel to
the X-member being very important.The real reason I used this front end was
it had been rebuilt recently & I wanted a truck front end under it as I will
use it to pull my boat or utility trailer some. I think the alignment is
spot on but just too sensitive ( pump pressure ) & not a desired steering
ratio wanting to change both ( compared to modern vehicles ).

Hope this helps,
Jim