[Oletrucks] 74 Chev Front Suspansion Steering

Gleason, Roger roger.gleason at uconn.edu
Tue Apr 22 06:36:58 MDT 2014

I have been putting this suspension into my 51 and was wondering how it would
work. Because you have to make up the idler arm bracket and position the
steering box when assembling it, I wonder if it is in the right place. Things
like caster have a very important part of the feel in the steering, and camber
is also important to the handling characteristics. I plan on experimenting
with those as well as figuring what the Ackerman effect is.  I would think it
would require quite a bit of work to find a rack that would do the job and get
it into the right orientation to make it work right. I have not been junk car
orientated enough to know what all the options are as well as availability of
the right one. Another issue is rear steer or front steer. With that big cross
member from the 74 truck the front steer option is probably a no go. I hope
some other guys/gals have more input on this because I am at the point where I
could make a change if I got enough common sense persuasion.

Roger A. Gleason
Construction Engineer of 27+ Years
In the Service of the University of Connecticut