[Shop-talk] Cheap / easy ways to measure long (500' or so) distances

Elton E. (Tony) Clark eltonclark at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:56:39 MST 2009

*I solved a similar problem once by carefully measuring the diameter of the
front wheel on my dirt bike (paint smear on the tire left marks on the
driveway) and then putting a white tape wrap round the tire.  Then I drove
slowly and counted the revolutions . . not "survey" accurate but served my
purpose.  Once measured a quarter mile "street racing" drag strip the same
way with a rag tied in the spoke of a Model A Ford!*
*Tony*