[Shop-talk] '02 Suburban engine cooling

Battmain battmain at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 22:57:01 MDT 2012

Next time it occurs and if you have time, simply raise the hood and see if it
makes any difference.

The folks over on  fullsizechevy dot com will have some
info on electric fans.

Regards,
Brian
battmain at yahoo dot com
>________________________________
8:45 PM
>Subject: [Shop-talk] '02 Suburban engine cooling
>
>The first of
last month we bought an '02 Suburban. A very nice one owner
>with116K on it.
It has the late model (LS style) 5.3 in it, towing package
>and 3.73 gears.
Last weekend we were in NE Texas, near Marshall, and I sat
>in a Sam's parking
lot for over an hour while my wife and her sisters
>shopped for the reunion we
were hosting. It was right at noon and the air
>temp was pushing 100.
>
>Water
Temp on this things normally sits just below mid point (marked 210 on
>the OE
gauge, which I think is fairly accurate). I was reading and not
>paying much
attention until the air from the AC began to warm up. The temp
>gauge was then
at the 3/4 mark. I moved to a clear area of the parking lot
>where I could
drive at fairly low speed and not worry about other vehicles
>or shoppers.
After just a few minutes of driving the temp returned to its
>regular spot and
the AC regained its efficiency. I never saw any lose of
>coolant or any
sign(s) of overheating.

>The primary purpose for buying the vehicle is
travel, usually with a bunch
>of folks and our stuff, while possibly towing
either a car or travel
>trailer. Should I consider looking for a heavier duty
radiator for this
>thing, or maybe a high volume/dual electric fan setup, or
both, and chunk
>the engine driven fan? I might even pick up a few tenths in
mileage. BTW,
>we got just under 18 mpg going up there from home, on Hwy 79.
Good