[Shop-talk] '02 Suburban engine cooling

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 10:12:58 MDT 2012

Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. I think this was primarily a hot
day/heat soak issue, this time. There are a couple of simple low/no cost
things I'm going to do. Flush the system throughly and add Water Wetter
when I refill. If we do get into some long distance/heavy towing I'll
probably replace the plastic/aluminum rad with an all metal piece from
Be-Cool or Ron Davis and go with double electric fans. I've never liked or
trusted these newer OE plastic tanked radiators.

I would have preferred to have the 6.0 LS, but we didn't have an option in
this truck, and I definitely was not going to drop $45K on a new one.
Besides I like the looks of the GMT800 series much more than the newer
"Tonka" style that they've all gone to.

FYI, it looks like that lighting company is no longer in business. I'll get
on the forum to see if there's an update. Good lighting is critical,
especially when towing. The mechanic that I use here also told me that
these trucks can benefit a lot from swapping the OE brake flex hoses with
stainless braided replacements. Makes sense. He also said the OE PItman and
idler arms wear quickly. IMO, these are pretty easy fixes, and not unusual
for a truck with 116K on it.

Heading to Austin for computer and camera stuff,
Ron