[Shop-talk] Automatic transmission cooler

Eric Murray ericm at lne.com
Sun Jul 8 18:39:34 MDT 2012

I have a '02 VW Eurovan weekender.  VW's stock transmission cooler is a
small heat exchanger that sits on top of the trans.  I put a gauge on it
and see temps of 245 ever time I drive home (up a steep hill,
downshifted).  It seems like the high temps are a major contributor to
the common failed EV transmission.

As a result a lot of people have removed the stock cooler and put an oil
to air cooler on.  I put one one today.  Trans temp was 100 on the climb
to my house, and it's a hot day.  That seems better for fluid life but
was wondering if having the temp too low can cause any problems.

It doesn't freeze here and we rarely get snow.

Eric