[Shop-talk] T8 and T12

David C. cavanadd at frontier.com
Thu Jul 12 16:22:57 MDT 2012

OK, this may be old news to a lot of you, but I just found out it's
fairly easy to retrofit a 2 lamp T12 fixture to T8 lamps.  All you need
is a new electronic ballast.  As I found out (below) this will work with
either a T8 or a T12 electronic ballast.  At least it will with
Phillips/Advance ballasts.

First of all, it's probably not worth the effort and expense to retrofit
a bunch of old shoplight fixtures that have magnetic ballasts.  You
would be time and money ahead to just replace the whole fixture.
However, in my utility room I have two 48" T12 fixtures that are about
12 years old, and I didn't want to go to the hassle of pulling them down
and replacing them with new fixtures.  I already did that in the master
walk in closet before I found out about this.

Anyway, a while back the ballast in one utility room fixture went out.
I replaced it with a T12 electronic ballast from H.D. and put the
regular T12 lamps back in.  Installation was normal; the new ballast had
all the same wires as the old one.  (Apparently magnetic ballasts are no
longer available, which is probably a good thing.)  A few days ago I
read on another forum that ANY electronic ballast will usually drive T8
lamps (as long as it's for the same number of lamps).  So today I got
two T8 ballasts (one for a spare) and four T8 lamps.  In the fixture
that had the "new" electronic ballast,  I just put two T8 lamps in and
it fired right up.

I took the other fixture apart and removed the ballast, and unwrapped
the new T8 ballast.  It's a little different- it only has half the wires
as a T12 ballast.  Where the T12 ballast had two yellow leads to one
end, and two blue and two red to the other end, the T8 has two blue and
one red.  No yellow.  After studying the wiring diagram on the ballast,
I figured you attach the one red lead to the two yellow (fixture) leads
on one end, and then one each of the blue leads goes to two red and two
blue leads on the other end of the fixture.

So now I have lots of light in the utility room, new ballasts, and, I
hope, a happier wife. Plus I can take the extra ballasts back to H.D.
and put about $18 back in my wallet.  I just wish I had known this trick
before I spent an hour taking the old fixture down and putting a new one
up in the closet.