[Shop-talk] Volvo Engine Swap

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:34:42 MDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Jim Stone <jandkstone99 at msn.com> wrote:
>  I was under the impression that a broken
> timing belt was likely to trash the entire engine.

My only real experience with this is in Volkswagen OHC engines back in
the day.   I seem to recall that at least one car we saw had hit hard
enough for the valves to break the camshaft in several pieces, but
only left some half-moon shaped dents in the pistons.  It was
difficult to evaluate what damage might have been done -- There is the
risk of one or more cracked pistons or bent rods, which would not
necessarily be obvious.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.