[Shop-talk] Volvo Engine Swap

Jim Stone jandkstone99 at msn.com
Sun Jul 15 09:02:18 MDT 2012

Thanks guys.  That is encouraging.  And the advice to get an exact replacement
is very important, as I had previously been looking at interchange engines.  I
will pick up a manual or buy online access through Alldata.

The possibility that this might just be the head is an interesting one that
was raised by my brother's mechanic (who is not the dealer, BTW).  The
mechanic (who has handled basic maintenance for him, but I don't think filled
him with confidence over working on the engine) also said it could be the
head, but indicated there would be no guarantees that rebuilding the head
would result in a running car.  I would pull the head and inspect it before
pulling the entire engine, but can anyone give me a sense of the likelihood of
it only being the head/valves?  I was under the impression that a broken
timing belt was likely to trash the entire engine.  If the odds are that
rebuilding/replacing the head is enough, then I would want my brother to know
that before dumping the car cheaply, even if I was going to be the beneficiary
of that dumping.

Thanks again.