[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 20:41:02 MDT 2012

I remember seeing a segment on a TV program about this some time ago. For
some reason I think it involved John Force's funny cars when they still
using a box trailer rather than a semi. They couldn't figure out why the
shocks on the car were getting messed up while towing between events. I'm
also pretty sure they were securing the car by tying the wheels down using
either D-rings or E-track.

Someone realized they could stick a camera in the trailer to keep an eye on
things. Basically the chassis was being thrown around pretty actively with
the movements far exceeding the loads the suspension components were
designed for. IIRC, the solution (before they moved to a semi rig) was to
add straps to limit the movement chassis movement. They may have redesigned
the trailer suspension to allow some controlled movement there, too. I
doubt many car haulers use shocks and fewer are adjustable for load weight.

FWIW,
Ron