[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 10:35:28 MDT 2012

> As for the safety issue, I haven't
> done a comparison, but I have never felt any handling effect.

I have tried both ways, and my preference is to secure by the wheels.  The
comparison with a tank full of liquid is flawed IMO, the cars suspension
will not let the center of gravity move very far and is actually better at
damping movement (because of the shock absorbers) than the trailer
suspension is.  The dangerous part of a part full tank of liquid is that the
liquid can slosh violently, moving the CG all over the place plus
concentrating the force over a very short time (when the liquid slams into
the side of the tank) rather than keeping it moving with the trailer.

> Maybe it's because I'm towing with a large vehicle and the car on the
> trailer is relatively light.

I have towed when the trailer+car was heavier than the tow vehicle.  Not
dramatically different, but it does push the tow vehicle around more.
Stopping distance goes up rapidly even with trailer brakes.

-- Randall