[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 22:52:41 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM, John Niolon <jniolon at att.net> wrote:
> another question on the baskets  (this is how I'm leaning... no holes in my
> pretty frame, no clearance to climb under the truck for axle straps and the
> brake lines are in the way anyway.
>
> My rears are 12.5" wide...tire diameter 26.5)    I wonder if they make a
> basket that will work with that width without spending extra $$$ for custom
> made...   and will a single strap be sufficient to hold that wide a wheel in
> place. ??

One thing that we used when I was driving a carrier was a system that
ran a strap from the middle of the bed to the end, on the inside of
towed vehicle's wheel.  We put a short axle strap (12 or 16 inches
long)  from the main strap in front of the wheel, to the main strap
behind the wheel.  The ratchet binder on the main strap pulled the
slack out of the main strap, and because the axle strap was short, it
forced the main strap to wrap around the vehicle's tire.  Took a bit
of fiddling sometimes, to keep the loop from popping off the top or
bottom of the wheel, but not bad.  Some thing like that requires that
you have a tie down point (or better, two, close to the wheels) in the
middle of the deck, and not just at the corners.  (that's useful for
lots of things, too.

Look at the web sites for tow truck suppliers.  There's a huge amount
of options available, whether you're in the "tie the wheels down" or
"tie the frame down" camp.