[Shop-talk] which tie down best for car hauler

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 11:10:33 MDT 2012

> My rears are 12.5" wide...tire diameter 26.5) I wonder if they make a
> basket that will work with that width without spending extra $$$ for
> custom
> made... and will a single strap be sufficient to hold that wide a
> wheel in
> place.

Actually, the reverse seems to be true.  The web "baskets" I bought off the shelf had a cross-strap that was WAY too long for the skinny tires on my TR4 and the wide tires on my Caterham 7. On the Caterham, there was a brake line in severe danger.

I had to fold the strap and have it professionally sewn essentially one-third the original length.  After that, no problems.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier