[Shop-talk] Roof Waterproof Membrane Advice....

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 30 16:42:08 MDT 2012

I've always preferred W R Grace's Ice and Water Shield, which used to come
in a lower and premium grade.  To my knowledge, it was the first such
product, and it's really strong and tenacious.  Looking at their site just
now, I see that they've expanded their line with a number of additional
products, including high-temperature products that might be better-suited to
your application.  Not that the Chicago area doesn't see terrible
temperatures in the summer...  The stuff I use is not granulated.

I've also used the GAF Weather Watch granulated product, and it's been OK --
no complaints.  However, when re-roofing last time I had a succession of
several roofers (why is that business home to so many crooks?) and the first
guy used GAF Weather Watch despite having signed a contract to use the Grace
product.  I fired him for that and maybe 7 or 8 other things.

During the roofing period, actually between him and the next crook, I also
had the house painted, and the painters walked on the GAF stuff.  It oozed
and was really slimy compared to the Grace stuff, which was only applied in
a few areas at that time.  The GAF has bitumen and granules on the top
surface - the Grace is a sandwich of 3 layers each bitumen and polyethylene,
with the top surface being thick polyethylene.  That construction really
seals to nails, screws, etc. that are driven through it, and it doesn't
track up when walked on, though it is slick when wet and/or cold.  I don't
know how well the GAF compares in sealing, but I suspect it's not nearly as
strong.  The GAF material tears while the Grace just stretches and
stretches.

Karl