[Shop-talk] Lag screws vs. through bolting

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 15:57:36 MDT 2012

Drew - I am also getting ready to install a cable rail system on my
balcony.  I am doing fascia mount posts with 3/8" lag bolts because I
have a waterproof surface.  The railing supplier should have technical
drawings that specify the attachment requirements to meet the code
required loading.  If you have a city building department, they should
also be able to tell you the requirements.

In my case, using lags requires me to have a backing 2x8 behind my
fascia board so I am screwing into a double thickness of boards.  If I
used nuts and bolts, I could get by with just the fascia board by
itself.  I am in a high fire danger area, so the city requires that the
underside of decks and balconies be covered, preventing future access to
nuts if I ever needed to change or tighten the railing posts.

Brian