[Shop-talk] Lag screws vs. through bolting

Drew Rogge drew at DasRogges.com
Tue Jul 31 13:32:18 MDT 2012

I'm installing some cable railing on a new deck, unlike the wood railing on my shop deck,
and have been through bolting some 1/4" stainless steel plates to the facia to hold the
posts. Hasn't been too bad. I'm bolting through 3/4" ipa and 1 1/4 PT using 3/8" SS bolts.
Bolts are coming in at about $1.00 apiece. I've just encountered a section of the deck
where I would need to bolt through either 4 1/4" or 6 3/4 inches. I expect the cost of
the bolts to be pretty high and was wondering if there would be much difference in strength
if I used say, 4" lag screws instead. Anybody have any experience with doing this?

Drew