[Shop-talk] Need help with dead 2000 GMC 1500 (5.8 Vortec)

Matt Wehland mjw at littlegrassy.com
Tue Apr 29 18:09:24 MDT 2014

I will second this on a dead pump.
Just went on vacation a month ago to visit friends and the first day
there got to help change the fuel pump on a Tahoe (welcome, now get to
work, nice friends I have :-)
When it died a good whack on the tank got it running again, at least a
few more times.
Biggest issue with changing it was getting the fuel lines disconnected,
even with the proper tools.
Other than that it was a couple hour job, taking our time.

We emptied the tank by removing one of the lines and pressurizing the
fuel tank to push the gas out through an additional hose into 5 gallon
tanks.

Matt

On 4/29/2014 1:26 PM, Joe Szwed wrote:
> My wife used to have a 98 Tahoe.  The same thing happened in the Shop
> Rite parking lot once.  What I found out, after trailering it back
> home,  was the that motors in the pump can get a dead/bad spot in
> them.  When I had the pump out and on the bench, I could get it to
> work sometimes but most of the time not.  I replaced the pump and all
> was well.  I did read someplace afterward, that if it happens to you
> out on the road, try smacking the bottom of the tank real hard because
> you can sometimes jar it enough for the pump to start and you can at
> least drive it home.
>
> Joe

Matt Wehland
(815) 295-4533