[Shop-talk] chains vs snow tires

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Tue Jan 19 11:38:04 MST 2016

Tony,

I think it depends on where you live and how important it is that you
be able to drive through anything.  I am retired now, so my
requirements are different from critical hospital personnel.  In all
the years I spent commuting here in NY, the thing that hindered
travel the most was traffic.  Driving in a relatively hilly area with
substantial traffic volume meant there was always someone who
couldn't make it up a hill or bounced off a guard rail.  I always
tried to stay off the highways.  When traffic stopped there, you
could be stranded for hours.  On the secondary roads, you could at
least turn around and try a different route.

-Steve