[Shop-talk] Fixing LCD TVs

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Sun May 1 15:42:06 MDT 2016

According to shopjimmy.com (parts purveyor) this isn't too hard. I have a "free" LCD that the picture suddenly went out on while in use. Reportedly still had sound, but since the sound input source is menu driven, and I can't see the menu, I have not yet been able to have it spit out sound.

The above webpage says if you can see the menu display in a dark room with a flashlight pointed at the screen, the problem is the inverter board. I replaced it for $40 and...no change. So now I'm thinking it's the power supply to that board.

The low voltage cabe tests fine. There's a high voltage line with no specs so I can't test it. But there's a capacitor right next to the transformers that looks like this:

http://groupwbench.org/InsigniaCap.JPG

Is that blown, or just poorly covered?

The power supply is out of stock, probably permanently.

jim