[Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Thu Oct 20 15:17:40 MDT 2016

I have an idea that I was wondering if anyone could let me know their
opinion.

I have a large dual axle car trailer.  I store it in a building and I need
a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage space.

I was wonder if I could use a set of car dollies (the ones that go under
the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and the manually
push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't need to use the
fork-lift.

Here are my concerns...

1 Getting the trailer on and off the dollies (do I need to jack it up or
can I drive them on them.)

2 What is a good set of dollies?  (I only need to move it laterally, so I
don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the rollers should be
fine.)

3 Finally, the building has an asphalt floor.  I would imagine that the
rollers would sink into them.  So I would need to get them on a wood
plank.  What is the minimum thickest of plank to prevent sinking, but easy
enough to roll the trailer onto?

Thanks!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
Waldo Emerson