[Shop-talk] State Pumpmate well pressure tanks?

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 17 08:47:28 MDT 2016

Jim - I can't speak to brands, but I don't think a pump should short
cycle in normal use.  I understand you have a bad tank so you likely
already know this, but wanted to make sure as I've had it come up in the
past where a minor adjustment stopped the pump from cycling too often.

My impression that the tank was a buffer for small uses and once a high
demand use started and pressure dropped, the pump came on and stayed on
until that use stopped and the tank recharged.  This was done by setting
the low/high cutoffs on the pump pressure switch.  I would encourage
finding out more about the proper setting of the pump pressure switch.

Note that this is based on 25 year old experience with a lake cottage,
so I've included the list to correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe current
technology or a house with a bigger pump is different.  Again, I know
your main problem was the bad tank, so maybe this is completely
irrelevant to your situation.

Brian