[Shop-talk] Off topic info request

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 22:29:55 MDT 2017

Pat - Check Pacific Sales - https://www.pacificsales.com/
They appear to have a location 7 miles away in Cerritos.  I've only
dealt with the Torrance, CA store, but that is 21 miles or a 3 hour
round trip in local traffic.  They are now owned by BestBuy and in some
BestBuy stores, but those locations are not the same.  They are closed
Sunday and Monday and don't stay open late, so check store hours first.

I got my tub, a toilet, and most fixtures from them.  Their showroom is
mostly upscale, but take a moment and talk to the sales rep in the bath
area for regular stuff.  Bring prices from Lowes, Home Depot, or Amazon
(prime eligible only) and they will match or beat. They have an
extensive warehouse, so even if they don't have something the day you
visit, they may have it next day for pickup. If you have something you
like from a box store website, take the model and they may have it.

Also consider http://rebacksplumbing.com/ in Gardena.  They recognized
an old faucet valve and helped guide me to a replacement for my mother
in law.

It sounds like you want to go the efficient route, but I did two shower
stalls with the Durock shower system -
http://www.durockshowersystem.com/ purchased from Big D Supply -
bigdsupply.com - several locations in the area.  They had better pricing
than Home Depot and more inventory.  The Durock system is similar to
Schluter's, but better in every way according to their marketing
material.  Bid D also had a better thinset selection than Home Depot or
Lowes if you do any tile.  You would need to tile the shower, but could
make it custom.

Plan your grab bar locations and put 2x6 blocking between the studs so
you know you have a solid place to attach them.  I don't recommend
suction cup grab bars if you have other options.  You can search for ADA
compliant grab bar placement to learn more.  You will want a bar to help
him step into the shower and another perhaps to help him steady himself
during the shower.  I recommend you also stand in the shower area and
pretend to wash your hair and make sure you won't bang an elbow on one
of those bars.

Consider at least a slide bar for a shower head so it can be lowered if
your father needs to sit for the shower.  I recommend a dual outlet
shower valve so you can have the regular shower head and a height
adjustable hand held shower head.  My install was for short kids, but
the purpose is the same.

Bed Bath and Beyond - all over the area, had the best price on shower
seats and a non-slip shower stall mat when I needed they for my father
in law when he got sick, especially with the 20% off coupons in the mail
a couple times a month.

Don't give up on Home Depot either.  If you see something on their
website, but your local store doesn't have it, click the link to check
other stores.  You probably have 4-5 stores within 20 minutes and
inventory and selection does vary.

Good luck and I'm sure your Dad appreciates the help.

Brian