[Shop-talk] Repair Order Database

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Fri Jun 23 13:29:59 MDT 2017

Eric - thanks!

 I will give it some thought, and see what I think the User Requirements should be.

 [Later thought inserted here --- After giving this a bit of thought, it is beginning to look complicated, so if this more than you thought, please just say so.  This will still be valuable as a conversation starter for the group...]

 As a start, I'm sure I will want the database to capture:
 - Dates of work [started, completed]
 - Issue / complaint / As-found condition [something about how the repair event started]
 - Requested By [could default to someone, rule based]
 - Work performed / As-left condition
 - Parts list [quantity, description, part #, price, source]
  -- A lookup table for commonly used sources would be a time saver, once the static data was input
 - Who performed the work [likely would default to someone, based on some rule]
 - Subject of the work [which vehicle, house, computer, router, tool, etc]
  -- Vehicles might call for a simple identifier on the main table, with the details of each vehicle in a separate table
  -- haven't thought through how to handle variable transaction data, like current vehicle mileage. could be on main, or pop-up, or?
  -- Computers might benefit from the same kind of treatment, since they vary by make, model, memory, storage, etc.
 - Subcontracted or sublet items [eg, machine shop, electrician, computer shop, etc] with what, who, how much
 - Comments field [no particular purpose, but ...]

 Al Fuller
al at bighealey.org

'65 A-H BJ-8
'85 Rx-7 GSL-SE