[Shop-talk] led light swap out question

Jimmie Mayfield mayfield+shoptalk at sackheads.org
Mon Aug 20 16:54:23 MDT 2018

Honestly, unless you think you'll fall back to using fluorescent tubes
in the future, I'd remove those ballasts and just use LED tubes designed
to be powered directly from 120V line.  There's no need for a
fluorescent ballast so it's just wasting electricity.

The downside is you'll need to remove your ballasts and rewire your
fixtures.  The tubes will have instructions for how to rewire your
fixtures.  Do make sure you put a clear warning label inside the fixture
if you do this so that someone doesn't unwittingly try to plug in a
fluorescent tube later.