[Shop-talk] portable air conditioners

Eric Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Tue Aug 21 16:36:51 MDT 2018

A mini split heat pump would be a (relatively) permanent solution. Mount
a bracket on the inside wall & locate the outside unit nearby. The two
are connected by a pair of copper refrigerant lines & some electric
wires that pass through a ~3" dia hole in the wall.

I installed a couple of mini split heat pumps in our garage & the bonus
room above. The install was easy. I had an electrician install the
connection/shut off boxes outside and then I paid a HVAC tech to vacuum
the lines and check the refrigerant charge (they come pre-filled). They
work great - with the push of remote control button I can have heat or
A/C. Note that they lose efficiency for heating when outside temps are
below 30F-35F.

Eric Russell

Mebane, NC