[Shop-talk] Removing moisture from coffee beans (yes, it is shop related.)

Peter Murray peterwmurray at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:53:37 MDT 2018

Are the beans already roasted? Coffee beans are pretty oily. One must
arrest the roasting process by cooling the beans, as once they hit first
crack, they're self-combusting.

I guess I'm asking - is it just moisture you're trying to eliminate, or
might it be other volatile components that will outgas more slowly than
will the simple humidity?

If its only a cup of beans, you should be able to spread them out on the
tray and get the water out in only a few hours.