[Shop-talk] Removing moisture from coffee beans (yes, it is shop related.)

Paul Parkanzky parkanzky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:13:49 MDT 2018

It depends on how dry you need them. I work in analytical labs and "loss on drying" is a common test. We often have to dry things at 105 C for six hours to get _all_ of the water off. And that is for fine powders. I could see it easily taking 8-12 hours to dry a single layer of coffee beans to constant weight.

But if you're going to that length to get them dry you need to be able to keep them dry. They'll start picking up moisture very quickly as they cool. You need to immediately move them from the oven to a dessicator if they need to get extremely dry and stay that way.

-Paul