[Shop-talk] portable air conditiners

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 21 21:48:55 MDT 2018

I got something like the device at the link below.  Mine was about $300
on sale several years ago.  It can vent through a window or for a more
permanent solution, you can add a wall vent like a dryer or exhaust fan.

https://www.costco.com/Delonghi-Pinguino-550-sq-ft-3-in-1-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Fan-and-Dehumidifier-modes.product.100424022.html

The models like this do exhaust the conditioned air to the outside.
Fancier models have two ducts, one to intake outside air then the
exhaust it to the outside.  These ones are more efficient.

The mini-splits that others have mentioned will do a much better job,
but they come at a higher price.

You may want to look at a boost fan, either in the duct to the office,
or that attaches on top of the register.  Search "hvac booster fan" for
some examples.

I also recommend leaving the door open if you can.  Air needs to flow to
cool, so if it can't flow out of the office, it can't flow in.
Typically, the door is cut with a gap at the bottom.  If you added
carpet or the installer didn't leave a gap, cutting a little off the
bottom of the door might help.  I'd target an inch gap, but before
cutting, see if there is better feedback from the list.

Brian