[Shop-talk] Changing a lockset without the key

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Mon Aug 27 13:28:47 MDT 2018

At 01:07 PM 8/27/2018, you wrote:

 >I'm sure this is the first of a bazillion questions (the fridge
also is not responding
 >to Google...or maybe I'm not).

Scott,

For your fridge, you say it's not responding to Google.  I don't
understand.  Not all fridges are internet connected.  That being
said, I bought a new refrig about 4 yrs ago now.  When it was just
over 1 yr old it quite working, inside lights off, wouldn't run, no
cooling, etc.  I called a repair shop to come fix it.  They told me to unplug
it (or turn the fuse off) for 5 min. then plug it back in.  This
would reboot the
onboard computer and it should start working again.  That did the
trick.  So if the
refrig. hasn't been unplugged in a while, you might try that.

 >There are several locked deadbolt (both sides) doors that everyone
claims to not
 >have keys for. Is it as simple as disassembling the lockset until I
can remove and
 >replace it,

Yes, you should be able to replace the deadbolts easily.  There are 2
screw that
you need to unscrew on the lock.  That will let you remove both the
inside and outside part.  Then you can remove the bolt by removing
the 2 screws on the
edge the door and pull the bolt out.  If you don't have a lock to
replace it with right away, you can put both the inside and outside
pieces back on and screw them together, to close off the big hole in
the door, and make it at least look like the lock is functional.

You can replace them one at a time.  Got to the hardware store and
get a new deadbolt, then come home and replace on of the deadbolts
(say the front door).  Then next week replace the back door's
deadbolt and the following week replace
the garage dead bolt.

When you go to get a replacement deadbolt, if you have glass in the
door, like on a back door or garage doors, you want the deadbolts
that have keys on both sides.  That way if someone breaks the glass,
they can't reach in and unlock the
deadbolt.  For doors without a glass pane, you can get a deadbolt
that uses a key
on the outside and a twist knob on the inside of the door.

Also, you might want to measure the thickness of the door and the
setback for the
lock.  Or you might want to take the old dead bolt with you to be
sure you get the
righ type.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---