[Shop-talk] Changing a lockset without the key

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:42:44 MDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:45 PM Scott Hall
<scott.hall.personal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Night a new house. Foreclosure.
>
> I'm sure this is the first of a bazillion questions (the fridge also is not responding to Google...or maybe I'm not).
>
> There are several locked deadbolt (both sides) doors that everyone claims to not have keys for.
>
> Is it as simple as disassembling the lockset until I can remove and replace it, or they've thought of that and I've got to get the door out first?
>
> Trying to work though that initial feeling of being incredibly overwhelmed,

Most cylindrical deadbolts can be taken apart from the inside.  It's
usually two screws on the lock that hold it in place, but some types
have more complicated covers.  A mortise lock might require the door
to be open, so you can get at the side of the lockset.

Unless you want to die in a fire, replace the looks with single
cylinder types, with a thumb knob on the inside.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com