[Shop-talk] Differential drain plug

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 19:23:52 MST 2018

I agree with the others about the 8 point socket.  I got mine off the
shelf at Sears.  It is so much nicer than the small open end wrench.

3/8" -
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-use-7-16-in-easy-to-read/p-00945793000P

1/2" -
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-16-in-easy-to-read-socket-8/p-00950739000P

I'd plan on replacing the drain plug with a new one.  My replacement is
a hex head with a magnet (same pipe thread).  I'd try a breaker bar
instead of a ratchet and wiggle in both directions.  Just be sure to
keep the socket all the way on the plug.

Make sure the car is very well supported.  I'd probably try initially
with the wheels on the ground so there is no danger of the car falling.
Having your body against a tire will also give you some extra leverage
to pull if you can reach.

Brian