[Shop-talk] pressure washing driveway

Lee Daniels lee at automate-it.com
Tue Jun 26 23:26:56 MDT 2018

Most methods for removing rust stains involve some kind of acid, from vinegar
(relatively weak) through oxalic acid (moderate) to muriatic (hydrochloric) -
strong! (don't go there). The trade-off is that concrete also dissolves in
acids, so choose your poison carefully.

Here's a list of nearly all the tricks I've ever heard, all in one place:
 https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Cement
Note that this one also mentions trying Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) - which is
strongly basic, opposite of acidic, not sure if that's going to help. TSP is
great for oils and greases though.

I'm fond of oxalic acid - a good source of it is Bar Keepers Friend. Rust
(iron oxide, Fe2O3) does not dissolve quickly, so put on your vinegar/whatever
and let it sit for a while, maybe brush it in, then rinse and brush more.

I don't envy you!
 Lee