[Shop-talk] Wheel Weights vs fluid filling

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:36:31 MDT 2018

I have never tried to fluid fill a tire on a compact tractor.  I am not
sure you will get enough weight to do any good.  Lets say you get 5 gallons
in a tire, and the fluid weighs 8 pounds per gallon, that only works out to
40 pounds per tire.  Whit steel wheel weights we usually use 100 pounds
minimum per wheel for a tractor of this size.  On a machine like this, a
few hundred pounds is not a significant increase in load.  Not sure if it
is true, but I was told the concern about hanging weight off the axle was
not valid.  The reason I was told is that while the weights do add to the
overall axle load, they actually reduce the load on the bearings a little
bit.  This is because they are normally mounted on the outboard face of the
rim, they pull down on the end of the axle.  With the wheel being the
fulcrum, this pulls UP on the axle at the bearing surface.  But the effect
is trivial, as they are so close the the fulcrum they don't have much
leverage.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM, <eric at megageek.com> wrote:

> Ok, I got some emails about using beet juice (Rim Guard)  to fill the
> tires instead of wheel weights.
>
> Does anyone have any pros/cons about either?
>
> Paul P gave me some reasons for the filling of tires, but here is what I
> was thinking...
>
> If I get a punctured tire, I can't easily fix it without dealing with the
> fluld  (I never worked with filled tires before, can you 'drain them' and
> refill them if you need to remove a tire/rim?  Can you use a plug on a tire
> with it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> This list has been quiet lately, it feels good to have a discussion on
> it.  Maybe I'll ask about the best impact wrench to really get the juices
> flowing (as I really am looking for a new one.)
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =