[Shop-talk] Drain Plug Material

Richard Beels rbeels at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 23:26:53 MDT 2018

Your FLAPS should sell replacement plugs.  Use a new crush washer if
it's called for in your application.  Or now might be the time to
upgrade to a Fumoto if you can wait a day or two for amazon to ship
it to you.  And they almost certainly have someone selling a drain plug, too.

6 point socket advice is good.  My worst drain plug adventure
involved a giant pair of vise-grips, squeezing them shut on the nut
with the help of a clamp and then smacking the VGs with a
deadblow.  Ruined the nut, of course, but replacements are
cheap.  Have also used turbo socket/bolt-outs to get them off, as
well (they're a little less abusive).  I live in the northeast so
don't dare try the impact gun on it.  :O

At 03/17/2018 at 21:23, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Tom Shirley's
keyboard and said:
>I've got a 2007 Honda CR-V and have just about ruined the oil drain
>plug. Getting it out may require taking it to the dealer. What is
>the drain plug made from? Seems super soft.
>
>Tom

Cheers!