[Shop-talk] modern tranny service

PJ McGarvey pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 14:29:01 MDT 2019

I've only owned one auto-trans car, our 05 Subaru wagon. The manual will tell you that trans fluid is a lifetime fill, and ours doesn't get driven hard or abused, but 50k seems reasonable. It's not like it's hard, especially if you're already doing the oil. I've done ours twice in 144k.

One tip is to measure as accurately as possible how much fluid you drain and replace with exactly that much. Checking AT fluid levels is tricky depending on temperature (on Subarus at least) or how level your driveway is, and it's just easier to know how much to put back in so you don't over or underfill.

I've replaced the AT filter at the same time, added a magnetic drain plug and dropped the pan once, but I don't think any of that is necessary during each fill.