[Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 11:40:27 MDT 2019

I should add that yes, as Bob Spidell stated, there’s no actual thing as “aviation unleaded” but at least theoretically the fuel suppliers control RVP, etc to the ASTM specs required by the FAA-issued STC’s for aircraft use.  In fact, the refineries and distributors are supposed to maintain specific trucks only to deliver car gas for aircraft use to avoid any cross-contamination.  It carries no road tax (a huge part of car gas prices) but the cost of the separate refinery streams and distribution costs still price it well over a buck a gallon more than car gas at a nearby gas station.  Our airport sells mogas for $4.30 per gallon.  Costco had 93 octane for $3.30  the other day.

In my limited experience our airport’s car gas has been very consistent.  But I don’t have an auto gas STC for my present plane because 100 LL works fine for me and there’s little price difference.  And I’m sure that 100 LL is pretty consistent across the country.  Not too sure what I’d get out of a mogas pump at some unfamiliar airport.

As they say, YMMV