[Shop-talk] Synth and conventional oil question (Time sensitive question) and *free beer (or coffee)

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Fri Aug 30 18:17:44 MDT 2019

My 2015 Explorer and me are in Phoenix, AZ* for a another month. I wanted to get an oil change prior to returning to NJ.

Here is the problem. Ford states that it uses a 'synthetic blend' oil. I don't know what the dealer used last, as all my records are still in NJ and it was under a free dealership oil change when I did the last one. (Normally I do my own.)

The place I can get the oil changed at does either full synthetic or full conventional oil.

Since I'll be putting another 500 miles on the truck out here, before I trek another 3000 miles across the country, what oil should I use? I don't know if it even makes a difference. But there is extreme heat out here (but it's cooling off now.)

I'm having the shop do this Sunday so I need to make a decision soon.

*BTW, any Phoenix shop-talkers want to get together for a beer/coffee this weekend? I'm buying!

Thanks.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?