[Shop-talk] Time to rethink tool storage?

old dirtbeard dirtbeard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 07:18:26 MDT 2019

I still have a small rolling cabinet that I bought when I was a
kid--sentimental old toolbox.

I went with pegboard on the walls and have most of the air and hand tools
hanging. I just finished off the last half of the garage and have not yet
started hanging stuff. I actually have more space than tools now.

Pros:

   1. You know exactly where the tool is (or should be) when you want it
   visually from anywhere in the garage
   2. You do not need to dig through layers of tools in drawers
   3. I mostly keep just the small and delicate tools in the tool cabinet
   and can roll it to the location

Cons:

   1. You have to walk over to the tool instead of rolling the cabinet to
   where you are working
      1. you can mitigate this by keeping the tools in the racks/holders
      and put them on a rolling table for the job you are doing
      2. If you do different work in different areas of the shop, you can
      hang the tools in the closest location
   2. You need wall space to hang them.

than I would if I had loaded everything into a monster tool cabinet. I also
went with vinyl flooring on the garage a month or so ago, and like it a lot
(softer on the knees, much quieter, brighter (can find stuff that I drop
and it does not break), oils and chemicals wipe up without staining, etc.

best,

doug